The first church of St Brigid was built in 1790 in Drumcrow. It was burned during sectarian violence in 1807. Its ruined walls still stand adjacent to the present church, which was built by Rev. John O’Reilly and was designed by the architect William Hague. It was opened in 1863. The spire was never completed.

The bell now used in St. Brigid’s was originally intended for Milltown Church but was found to be too heavy to mount on the gable of that church. Instead it was exchanged for the lighter bell intended for St. Brigid’s. Very Rev. Thomas Canon McCauley PP, undertook major repairs to the church, which involved a new sacristy, new seating, new confessionals, interior decoration and bringing the sanctuary into line with modern liturgical requirements.

Go Back