The church of St. Patrick, Kilnavart, was dedicated on 20th April 1868 by Bishop Nicholas Conaty, assisted by Bishop McCabe of Ardagh. The church was erected to the memory of Fr. Thomas Maguire, a famous preacher and apologist who was curate in Templeport from 1816-1818 and is buried in the adjoining cemetery. The Parish priest at the time was Fr. Patrick Smith.

The architect was William Hague. The building materials are mainly limestone and sandstone. The sand came from Cooleague and the stones were given free by a local church of Ireland family, the Wilcoxes of Toberlyan. Among the features of the church interior are short red marble columns, corbelled heads of saints and the ceiling divided into panels. The belfry was added later.

The church was renovated recently. The renovations include a new roof,
new doors, new gallery and new light fittings. The sanctuary has been rearranged and a reredos restored. The architect was David Cullivan, Cavan and the main contractor P. McGovern & Son, Bawnboy.

The church was rededicated on April 19th 1998 by Bishop Francis MacKiernan, with Rev. Thomas Murray PP.

Go Back